Of course, Energy Savings and Comfort are two very important criteria as you determine the best replacement window and patio door type and brand for your project. But how do you compare the ability of the different types, styles, and prices of windows to deliver on that important objective? Vinyl clad wood windows, Metal windows, and Vinyl windows vary greatly in how they provide energy savings and comfort. In fact, windows made of the same frame materials, like the vinyl windows we design and manufacture here at Jantek Windows can vary greatly in energy and comfort performance from those of other manufacturers. So how do you compare your options with regard to this important criteria? In this article I will give you a simple way to compare the insulation value of any window or patio door you’re considering. All you need is one number and a calculator. Let’s get started.
It doesn’t matter if your home or building is located in Burlington County New Jersey, South Central New Jersey, Philadelphia or anywhere else on the planet. One of the most important factors in determining how well your new windows and patio doors will perform in terms of saving energy and keeping you warm in winter and cool in summer, is the window or patio door’s insulation value. This is formally known as “R-Value.” R-Value is the common measurement of the insulation value of any product whether it is a window, patio door, or a bat of insulation for your attic or walls.
The R-value of windows and patio doors is very easy to determine. That said, it is important to understand that the R-value of any window or patio door is greatly impacted by the:
- Frame and sash material (vinyl clad wood, vinyl, metal)
- Glass package (double/triple pane, Low-E type, spacer type, gas fill)
Here are the steps to follow in determining and comparing the R-value of any of the different types and brands of windows and patio doors that you may be considering.
- Ask your contractor to provide you with the “U-factor” for each specific configuration of window or patio door in your estimate. All reputable manufactures of windows and patio doors have their products physically tested, along with a design review, for certain energy performance criteria by outside, National Fenestration Rating Council approved, independent laboratories. These laboratories certify the test results they provide in a formal report back to the Manufacturer.
- The “U-Factor is the standard measurement used in the window industry to state how well the window or patio door resists the transfer of heat from interior to exterior in the heating season and from exterior to interior in the cooling season.
- Calculate the R-value by dividing the U-Factor into the number 1. So, for the formula 1/U-factor= R-value (round the outcome up or down to the nearest whole number), will give you’re the number you need to compare any two windows or patio doors for insulation value.
- Let’s do an example:
The U-factor for a Jantek Energy Miserä Double Hung Vinyl Replacement window with Triple pane EnergyMiser glass package is .18. The R-value would be determined by 1/.18= 5.555 rounded to R-value = 6 (R6).
If you want to compare the Jantek Energy Miserä double hung to a window from XYC Company with a U-factor of .25 you would use the same formula: 1/.25 = 4.0 the R-value = 4 (R4).
The Window or Patio Door with the higher R-value will insulate better. That translates into better energy savings and greater comfort for you.
You knew that the energy savings and comfort performance of your new windows and doors is important to your decision. I hope that this article has given you an easy tool to use in comparing the insulation value of your replacement window and patio door options. Remember to check out our large library of information and tips on windows and patio doors on our website at www.jantekwindows.com, and when you are ready, you can request a free no hassle TeleEstimate and have your Jantek windows estimate in minutes over the telephone and email. … and remember… Save Energy…Capture Comfort!
Free feel to call us call us at (609) 881-2400 with any questions you may have.